Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fuel pump died... Surprised it didnt die sooner

Remember back in january when i bought my bike after it had sat for 3 years with bad ethanol gas? Well i really wish i had removed the fuel pump and looked inside the tank back then instead of assuming the tank was clean. The pump and the tank coating are trashed.

I ran out of gas earlier today, filled it up, and the pump wouldnt build pressure after that, although i could hear it coming on. It looks like one of the strainers broke and let the pump suck up a chunk of coating.

So now I'm gonna send the pump to the Vic shop and re-coat the inside of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
4,987 Posts
Terrible sorry for you looks bad.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The bike sitting for 3 years with Ethanol gas did all that? Wow, that's awful.Since the gas tank on nearly every Victory never sits empty, would this happen to all the tanks after 3 years or just after 3 years if never ridden?

Really surprised the coating Victory uses will get that bad after 3 years of ethanol fuel contact.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike sitting for 3 years with Ethanol gas did all that? Wow, that's awful.Since the gas tank on nearly every Victory never sits empty, would this happen to all the tanks after 3 years or just after 3 years if never ridden?

Really surprised the coating Victory uses will get that bad after 3 years of ethanol fuel contact.
Most of the stripped coating was on the upper half of the tank where there wasnt any contact.

Ethanol gas only becomes corrosive after being allowed to sit for extended periods.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Gas mileage

If they let us run real gas, the old type not ethenal, this would not happen as bad or as soon. Also I bet our big ol engines would get 60mpg + to the gallon I bet. I remember the old Honda cars use to get fantastic mileage without any hybrid crap. You could let the gas sit for a year + back then.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they let us run real gas, the old type not ethenal, this would not happen as bad or as soon. Also I bet our big ol engines would get 60mpg + to the gallon I bet. I remember the old Honda cars use to get fantastic mileage without any hybrid crap. You could let the gas sit for a year + back then.

When both were available, i got 32mpg with real gas and 28mpg with the mix in the same car.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
That's disgusting. However a bike sitting for 3 years will be a little different than refilling with fresh gas every week or so.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
The sad thing is the Ethanol does nothing for the environment. Between losing mpg, the cost and carbon footprint of growing and transporting it, and then refining it to work with gasoline; it's a wash. We lose because we pay more for it which in turn pays the farmers to grow it and we get worse mpg. It's all a scam.

Sure hate to see this happen to a tank like that though. Thanks for posting the pics so people might remember to drain the tank. I imagine the coating above the fuel line was corroded by the fumes in the tank rather than direct contact which doesn't look good either of course.

I had a 95 Honda Civic Hatchback. Sometimes I wish I still had that little white car. Got 39 mpg on the highway and 40 mpg in town. The opposite of most cars which usually get better mileage on the highway. I used to see these little Civics at the quarter mile race track. They would be stripped down inside with some motor work and a loud exhaust. People would laugh until they saw them running in the 9's and 10's beating some really serious hot rods and they still had that little 4 banger engine in them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A little perspective.
Had there been cameras of that caliber and an interwebs to post the pix on 50 years ago you could have posted same same. Of course, the bike would have been carbureted so your fiddly bits would have been outside the carnage and the victims would have been the tank, the petcock, the gas filter and a bit of hose.

I hates me some corn in my gas tank and it does bring its own special hell to everything it comes in contact with but pure gasoline is not particularly friendly either.

There are a couple of ways to put up a bike for three years and neither one is the tank partly full. As stated, the worst mayhem happened above the fuel, not under it. 10-4 that. I imagine that the coating process for that tank was shortened by the human who did it, resulting in a poorer coating on top, either less layer thickness or missed areas. Either way, that's often how it goes. Between gravity and a tendency to not focus on the value of the task, the bottom part of the tank gets the coating love but it's the upper part that faces the worst of the corrosive effects of the fuel because the vapors meet the air and the air includes oxygen and the ox in oxygen is the same ox in oxidization, or something like that. My chemistry skills pretty much are limited to knowing both what LSD stands for and what the effects are. Anyway the fuel off gases and the fumes mix with air and, especially if the bike sits letting the fumes linger, the fumes find any void in the coating and go straight for the exposed metal. The metal dissolves and the surrounding coating has no more metal to adhere to and the process repeats until we have pictures that cause scrotal retraction.

I guess fuel pumps inside the tank are the natural evolution of fuel metering and delivery but I sure miss having a Del Orto with big gommy velocity stacks getting in the way of my knee and going out of adjustment every time the thermometer nudged a couple of degrees.. Pictures like this remind me why.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts