Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about ditching my full face helmet and going to a half helmet, but I don't want the mushroom look. After countless searches on google i came across these zox helmets, there dot and look like they would fit really far down on your head to get rid of the mushroom look. Anyone try these?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Haven't tried one of these, but I also ditched the full face, went to an outlaw ultra low carbon. I have a tiny head, so the mushroom head look is always a problem... not with this pot though. Got one for my wife as well, just the normal ultra low (non carbon) and it is just as light, and sits as low, and is half the cost. Leatherup.com

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet man thoes look nice, im guessing that the front visor comes off? But thanks for the info might have to try one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet man looks good, just put my order in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That looks non DOT so its just a novalty helmet... well thats what they are calling the old skid lids now.

Good to help keep the skin on your head in a slide... but worthless for impacts... just FYI. I just dont wear one so i plan on dying i guess.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I wear a halfie, figure good for protecting the noggin somewhat. I do have the bowling ball look but mine is a Harley (only one that really seemed to fit) and it has a little curve out in the back. Full face just seems to mess with my visuals and hearing. I guess it comes down to choice but I do like the wind in my face.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That looks non DOT so its just a novalty helmet... well thats what they are calling the old skid lids now.

Good to help keep the skin on your head in a slide... but worthless for impacts... just FYI. I just dont wear one so i plan on dying i guess.
It is made by outlaw helmets, and it is DOT... just an FYI

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
It is made by outlaw helmets, and it is DOT... just an FYI

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Do you know what the difference between ultra low and ultra slim is? do you have a picture from the side?

Sorry, and thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
oh hell that changes everything! I'll even wear one of those!

edit: Just looked at the measurements of the padding... the ultra slim polo is the same thickness as the one I got from J&P

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll try and get one from the side. I mentioned before that my wife and i got helmets at the same time, hers is the "ultra slim" standard (not the carbon) and mine is the "ultra low" carbon fiber. Hers sits just as low, and there is no significant weight difference IMHO.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
That "mushroom look"

I'm not one to worry about "style" of helmets--to me, and NYS, they aren't a fashion accessory. But I will comment on the value of the "mushroom" diameter.

About 25 years ago, I was leading a mountain bike ride that ended in a town park, that was basically flat but had a rolling dip before the rise up to the pavilion where we finished. To this day, I don't know what happened, but likely it was fatigue and not paying attention to the course. I went down on my right side, hard. I was wearing a Snell MTB helmet (best available technology), but the way I hit on my shoulder caused my head to violently wrench sideways/laterally.

When I picked myself up, I couldn't swallow, was having a hard time breathing and for the next week my neck and upper spine felt as though I had been through a "wraslin" twisting headlock...and all this was at probably 15 mph on grass.

I decided that if I didn't have my helmet on, or it were narrower than it was, I could have broken my neck. It was truly strange, but even more strange to not be able to swallow and have difficulty breathing.

Think about that with these "stylish" non-mushroom helmets....especially if you have broad shoulders. And of course, you already know that NECK injuries, not head injuries, are what do most two-wheeled riders in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
well I jump off 50' cliffs with rocks and avalances below with a board strapped to my feet. Or launching off 70' table tops landing on hard pack snow doing about 40mph upside down usually. I've fallen a million times. Just last season I started wearing a helmet because the company finally made it mandatory for "persons working on snow".

I guess I've always been ready to go... either on a bike or board... oh and I didnt wear my kevlar alot in combat either... guess some people just like the security they "offer".

·
Registered
352 Posts
truth is, there is inherent danger with everything in life, and riding a motorcycle is no exception. We all know the risks. End of statement.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I'm not one to worry about "style" of helmets--to me, and NYS, they aren't a fashion accessory. But I will comment on the value of the "mushroom" diameter.

About 25 years ago, I was leading a mountain bike ride that ended in a town park, that was basically flat but had a rolling dip before the rise up to the pavilion where we finished. To this day, I don't know what happened, but likely it was fatigue and not paying attention to the course. I went down on my right side, hard. I was wearing a Snell MTB helmet (best available technology), but the way I hit on my shoulder caused my head to violently wrench sideways/laterally.

When I picked myself up, I couldn't swallow, was having a hard time breathing and for the next week my neck and upper spine felt as though I had been through a "wraslin" twisting headlock...and all this was at probably 15 mph on grass.

I decided that if I didn't have my helmet on, or it were narrower than it was, I could have broken my neck. It was truly strange, but even more strange to not be able to swallow and have difficulty breathing.

Think about that with these "stylish" non-mushroom helmets....especially if you have broad shoulders. And of course, you already know that NECK injuries, not head injuries, are what do most two-wheeled riders in.
I parachuted in gusty winds into a crowded baseball field for the fireworks celebration last night.

·
Registered
152 Posts
lol ALL DANGEROUS things...

I guess I still fight with myself if I should wear one or if I just dont care enough too.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts